Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Rogue A/C Unit

Our schizophrenic GPS has apparently influenced our household appliances.  I think they are conspiring to either seriously maim or kill us.  Hopefully, you've read about Sybil the GPS.  If not, scroll back through our old posts.

Our house was built in 1950, before anything like El Nino, La Nina, Global Warming and headlines like "Record Breaking Heat Scorches the Northeast!"  We don't have central A/C.  So far, we've just been cooling off the upstairs with a couple of window fans.  Downstairs, we've been running a couple of window units.  The spawn live down there anyway in the Summer, as they stay up until all hours playing video games and watching TV and then fall asleep in the Family Room.  Window fans in the upstairs mostly unoccupied bedrooms (other than ours) have sufficed.  Moving air is usually the answer.  It's worked out.

Until this morning.  It was 94 degrees in our bedroom this morning while I was getting ready for work.  I got up, showered, dried my hair...and 5 minutes later my hair was soaking wet.  It's a good thing I don't wear much makeup.  It would've slid right off my face.  Tonight,  Farmer Ted and I hijacked one of the two window units downstairs and brought it upstairs to the bedroom.  We set it to a comfy 75 degrees, and right now we need a damned parka.  It won't quit.  But when we turn it off, the temp rapidly climbs back up into the 80's.  So we turn it back on, right now we are at 72 and it is pumping out the chill.  I'm scared to go to sleep.  Either we are going to die from sweating to death if we turn it off, or hypothermia if we leave it on.

Help.  If you don't hear from us in a few days, please call Bob Smith.

Next...Afternoon thunderstorms (which did not provide relief from the heat), prevented any gardening.  We need some serious weeding.  The bog garden is suffering, as are all the potted plants.  We've got some work to do.  Oh, and I had my first GrowDammit tomato sammich for lunch today.  Farmer Ted didn't get pics before I inhaled it unfortunately.

4 comments:

  1. I swear to God... It's cooler in South Carolina than it is here in Pennsylvania! Actually... I'm not bitchin' because I know what's coming up, here in the next few months. Shoveling snow is exactly the same as shoveling sand.... The shit gets heavy!

    You can't tell me that global warming is "bullshit" because I can remember it being hot, as a kid.... But Man, We'd play in that shit ALL DAY LONG.... Not anymore. I'm scared to let the Spawn go outside for any long period of time.... I guess I'm a worry wart.

    Yeah... There's PLENTY of work to do in the gardens but this I can say... The crops are BOOMING! I'm a happy farmer! I'm gonna bust out the camera and snap some pics this afternoon after the sun lets up but I dunno.... It seems like it STAYS hot even after the sun goes down. We had a little "Tease" of a thunderstorm yesterday and the only thing that it did was create that steam on the road... That's always some eerie lookin' shit... I imagine that's what the "Road to Hell" looks like. At least I know what I'm in for.

    So we're in the market for a "Farm truck." Farmer Chele and I are worlds apart on the pricing... I was looking for a used kick around extended cab... Something in the 3 to 4 thousand dollar range; So I see HER doing some online window shopping last night for pretty much the same thing except SHE was looking at the NEW extended cabs! I'm thinking about 4 thousand.... She's looking at 40 thousand. (I'm sure that we'll come to a compromise and end up with a 39,000 dollar Farm truck.)

    Because she's hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So? Are you two popsicles, or completely melted?

    I miss having a truck. We had a small one when we lived in NJ/NY, but traded it in when we went through the big move to GA. I don't know what we were thinking, because this is the largest piece of property we've ever owned in our almost 20 years of marriage! Now, whenever I need anything like topsoil or mulch (bagged, of course!), I put the seat down in the minivan, cover the carpet with an old sheet, and throw the crap in there. Not the best way to do it, but I have no other choice...lol!

    I bet she gets her pretty little farm truck. 'Cause she's hot like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.... She'll get her Farm truck.... No doubt about it. Trucks just make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The AC unit didn't get me, but I've got a hairy eyeball on the vacuum cleaner now.

    ReplyDelete